Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Giving Back

Tonight we finished blocking the entire play. Wow.
I have so much to say, but there are hardly enough breaths in a day to say all the things we are feeling, thinking, and learning through this experience.

The last scene of Piece of my Heart brings each woman to her knees at the Vietnam Memorial, bearing a gift to honor the lost men and women of Vietnam.
Some bring their talents, some their memories, some their passions.
What do I bring? What do I give?

I've explained before why I believe this play is important. The Vietnam War is a tragically forgotten war. Its mistakes and resulting atrocities are often ignored. What a terrible shame that the lives, souls, and efforts of the men and women of this war are not heard! I'm not going to attempt to describe all of the struggles and traumas these veterans face. What I have learned makes me sick, and I know I can't even imagine the worst of it.
But one thing I do know: these men and women gave so much. Their sanity and security, their innocence and youth, their health, their LIVES.
And for what? This is still the question no one seems to be able to answer.
They gave because they believed giving was the best they could do for the world and themselves.

This play has given me so much. It has given me opportunities to learn and grow as an artist and woman. It has given me precious friendships. It has given me new convictions and interests. It has given me perspective and respect for others. It has given me fulfillment.

So what do I have to give? What can I offer in gratitude to the men and women who inspired this play that has given me so much?

I will give my time. I will give my efforts. I will give my self doubts and reservations. I will give my fears. I will leave my comfort zone and attempt to enter a tiny glimpse of the terrifying world of Vietnam. I will give my voice.

Quite honestly, I am scared sometimes. I'm tired sometimes. This play is stretching me as an actress and a person. It challenges me physically, mentally, and emotionally. Yet I am keenly savoring every moment of challenge, because it is the best I can give back to the very real people this play speaks to and about. Working on this play is one of the few times I feel that I am offering something truly beautiful and good to the world.

I give to the veterans of Vietnam and any other war. I give to women who have been oppressed in their careers and passions. I give to all sufferers of PTSD or other trauma related mental issues. I give to those affected by Agent Orange Disease. I give to those who have been ignored and belittled in their times of most desperate need.

Thank you for what you've given me.

No comments:

Post a Comment