Thursday, January 22, 2015

The Beginning

When I first heard that my college was doing A Piece of My Heart by Shirley Lauro, I thought to myself: 'Six female leads??? YES!' Little did I know when I picked up the script for the first time that I was entering what is growing to be a life changing experience.

A Piece of My Heart is the story of six women serving in the Vietnam war. The play follows three nurses, a Red Cross girl, an intelligence officer, and an entertainer from the day they enlist to the day the Vietnam memorial is erected in Washington DC. The girls narrate their personal battles--both mentally and physically--resulting from the trauma of Vietnam.

This is no ordinary play. It is frighteningly honest remembrance of an extremely misunderstood war. I consider myself a fairly well educated person, and I love studying American history. My grandpa even served in Vietnam. But until a month ago, I knew nothing about this massive and tragic part of history. The government is infamous for hiding information about this war, and they've done a thorough job. That isn't okay. For me, this play is a patriotic responsibility. If the mistakes of our past are ignored, they can easily happen again. We can NOT have a war this wasteful and horrific repeat itself. 

But more importantly, this play is a tribute to the men and women who gave so much of themselves to serve in Vietnam. It goes so far beyond their two years of service. Most of these veterans have spent years recovering from PTSD and other serious problems. It is an honor to be a voice for those who maybe haven't been comfortable enough to speak about this war. I pray that those who see this play hear that voice and respect it. In my mind, I have already begun my own wall of names to whom want to dedicate my work on this show. Every moment will be for them.

A Piece of My Heart is an important show. With this blog, I hope to share valuable growing moments for myself and provide valuable resources for girls who perform this show in the future. I'm looking forward to a unforgettable experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment